It was a disappointing end to an interesting and eventful night. Czech's go-ahead goal shouldn't have been and the defense should have done better. But, instead of looking at the game, I'd like to focus on the players:
- Guzan: Very rusty, and it showed at times. He also showed why he's on the team. Quick saves and good positioning.
- Onyewu: Was at fault for the first Czech goal, looked rusty at times but very good on the ground. May not start in South Africa but in the 23.
- Bornstein: Speedy recovery in plays but many errors that caused trouble for the defense. In 23, could be replaced by Pearce/Bocanegra/Spector.
- Goodson: Excellent game for the central defender. Assisted on Gomez's goal. In 23, may start ahead of Onyewu/DeMerrit.
- Pearce: His play was weak tonight and didn't outdo Bornstein. Good going forward. Not in 23.
- Cherundolo: Beaten in Czech's second goal. A bit lost at times but had generally good positioning throughout the match and very good going forward. In 23, Spector may get the nod ahead of him at right back.
- Edu: Opportunistic goal, his new trademark. He was steady and dangerous in the midfield and broke up play by the opossing team. The 4th goal was his fault. Not a great switch to D. In 23, starter alongside Bradley.
- Holden: Excellent match. Assisted on the first goal. His crosses were great. His defensive play could improve, however. In 23, probably a supersub or interchangeable with Dempsey.
- Beasley: This was the Beasley we all know and remember. Quickly to the attack and defense, great passing. In 23, supersub and/or interchangeable with Donovan.
- Torres: Had a quiet night but impressed enough to remain in the team. In 23, substitute mainly.
- Sacha Kljestan: Not a bad night, but he's still behind many others in the initial 30. Not in 23.
- Alejandro Bedoya: Not very effective and this may have cost him the trip to the World Cup. Pearce's faults could put him into the 23.
- Robbie Rogers: Lively and speedy but not enough to replace others in the squad. Not in 23.
- Edson Buddle: Worked hard but was unlucky going forward. Could make 23 in favor of Johnson/Gomez/Bedoya.
- Eddie Johnson: A bit more effective than Buddle. His play set up Edu's goal in the first half. Could make the 23 in favor of Buddle/Gomez/Bedoya.
- Herculez Gomez: Golazo! Always dangerous but needed to pass the ball better. A great supersub in South Africa. In 23 unless Pearce/Bedoya/Johnson combination doesn't work for him.
- Brian Ching: Possession and experience. In 23 and could start along with Donovan/Altidore/Dempsey.
Post a Comment